Mailmen don’t usually get the attention they deserve. The founders of Ben Wheeler, a community in East Texas, did value its first mailman by naming the community for the man who carried the mail.
Benjamin (Ben) Wheeler, a late 19th century mailman, carried mail from the Van Zandt county seat of Canton to Edom, Texas.
In 1876, a post office was established in the home of George W. Clough. This spot along the mail route was then named for Wheeler, who stopped to spend the night at Clough’s home on his route. Clough’s house was about half-way between Canton and Edom. At Clough’s, Wheeler also got water for his hard-working mail-carrier mule. Clough later built the first store in Ben Wheeler, and he and his neighbors built a school house on his land.